APPLIED THERMODYNAMICS LAB
- In this lab students learn about different applications of thermal concept in real life.
- Students perform different experiments on engine test rig, turbines, compressor, and boilers.
- The major apparatus such as: Two stage air compressor, multicylinder petrol engine test rig, single cylinder diesel engine test rig, separating and throttling calorimeter, Babcock and Wilcox boilers.
THEORY OF MACHINES LAB
- In today’s scenario study of different mechanisms and the problems related to need to be addressed so that new innovations can come out.
- This lab is equipped with apparatus such as: Epicycle Gear train, Universal Governor, Static and Dynamic Balancing, Gyroscope, Journal bearing apparatus
- In Theory of Machines Lab students performs, analyze and get to know about different mechanisms.
STRENGTH OF MATERIALS LAB
- Proper analysis & knowledge of the material strength is very essential in the designing and fabrication of different machines and machine parts.
- Students under the guidance of the lab supervisor perform different experiments such as: Tensile test, Compression test, Izod test, Charpy test, Buckling test, Hardness test, Torsion test. This lab is equipped with modern and state of art machines such as: Universal Testing Machine, Rockwell Hardness Testing Machine, Impact Testing Machine, Torsion Testing Machine, and Column Testing Machine.
FLUID MECHANICS LAB
- The study of fluid and fluid mechanics is very important in today’s industrial applications. In this lab students perform different experiments and analyze the different fluid mechanism.
- This lab is equipped with apparatus such as: Multicentre apparatus, Bernoulli apparatus, Notch apparatus, Reynolds apparatus, and Hydraulic coefficient apparatus.
MANUFACTURING PROCESS LAB
- In this lab students make different components on different metal forming machines.
- Students under the guidance of workshop in charge make components such as: Gears, casting, moulds. Students perform various operations such as welding, cutting, drilling, casting, forging, forming, sheet metal working, etc.
- Following are the various machines used in this lab: Radial Drilling Machine, TIG Welding Machine, Arc Welding Machine, MIG Welding Machine, Lathe Machine, Grinder, and Spot Welder.
INDUSTRIAL AUTOMATION AND ROBOTICS LAB
- Department of Mechanical Engineering is equipped with industry standard automation and robotics lab. In this lab, students and faculty get to study about different automation systems in industries.
- They also learn about the basic concepts of robotics system as used in the industries. Students also make different minor and major projects and also represent their projects at state and inter-state levels.
REFRIGERATION AND AIR CONDITIONING LAB
- In refrigeration and air conditioning lab students learn about different concepts of refrigerator, compressor, and air-conditioner.
- The lab is equipped with different apparatus such as: RAC control cut model board, Electrolux Refrigerator, Air-conditioning test rig.
AUTOMOBILE ENGINEERING LAB
- The department of mechanical engineering is equipped with automobile engineering lab where students get to know about different parts used in our today’s automobile vehicles.
- Students makes formula one racing cars, Go kart etc. under the supervision and guidance of faculty and workshop head and experts from their field of expertise.
HEAT TRANSFER LAB
- The department of mechanical engineering is equipped with state of the art Heat Transfer lab. In this lab student under the guidance lab assistants perform different experiments where heat transfer takes place in between the system and the surroundings.
- This lab is equipped with different apparatus such as: Drop wise and film wise condensation, conduction through composite walls, thermal Conductivity of the liquid, two phase heat transfer, forced convection.
MATERIAL ENGINEERING LAB
- In this lab students learn about the micro structure of different metals and alloys. Students perform different experiments on metals in order to improve its properties such as: Hardness, Toughness, Grain structure, Stress removal.
- Students perform different processes on metals such as: Annealing, Tempering, Hardening, Quenching, Normalizing, Case hardening.
- This lab is equipped with apparatus such as: Metallurgical microscope, muffle furnace, double disc polishing machine, Jominy’s end quench test apparatus, hot air dryer.
MECHANICAL MEASUREMENT & METROLOGY LAB
- In this lab students get to know about the different measurement tools used in the industries while manufacturing and designing the product.
- In this lab students use measurement tools such as: Dial Caliper, Vernier Caliper, Surface plate, micrometer, screw gauge, sine bar, dimmer (variac), Feeder gauge
MECHANICAL VIBRATIONS LAB
- Mechanical vibrations lab is one of the most important and essential lab in mechanical engineering. In this students learn about different types of balancing of the masses such as: static and dynamic balancing. They also learn to reduce the vibrations which occur in machinery during operations.
- This lab has following apparatus: Universal Vibrations.
- In this lab students learn about the Computer aided drafting and Computer aided manufacturing of parts/components. In this lab students are taught designing software’s such as: Solid works, Pro E, AutoCAD.
- In this lab students learn about CNC programming which includes G-code and M-code.
- This lab has machinery such as: CNC trainer Lathe, CNC Milling Machine.
UNIQUE SALIENT POINTS (USP’s)
Innovation centre The purpose of Innovation center is to aware new comers about innovations and projects, which have been recently invented in research and development department by students and faculty advisers.
Single cylinder CRDi Engine with Medhavi Open ECU A MOU has been signed with “Medhavi centre for automotive research” on 14.01.2014 to impart training to the students on latest technology in the field of automobile engines. Medhavi open ECU research engine offer the platform and technology required to support IC engine research and development; by which the various fuel parameters can be changed manually with the use of PC based software.
CNC Machine It is a controlling system with digital electronic computers used to control machines. It controls, automates, and monitors the movements of a machine.
IEDC Cell IEDC was implemented on 28 Oct, 2014 in the Department of Mechanical Engineering CEC, Landran (Mohali) with an aim of developing institutional mechanism to create entrepreneurial culture in academic institutions.
There is a spacious library equipped with wi-fi facility in Applied Sciences block to cater the requirements of approximately 1500 students of different branches of first year, faculty and staff of different subjects of the department. Library is organized into various sections viz. Circular Section, Periodical Section, Reference Section, Newspaper/ Magazine Section, Technical Section, Binding Section, which are manned by professionally qualified staff. WORKING HOURS Monday to Friday from 9.15 A.M. to 4.35 P.M.